Poetry of John Keats - Unique Gifts Blog - Ooonique!

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Poetry of John Keats

I am someone who loves to read. I wonder what some of the greatest writers would have to say about our digital amenities like TV, the Net, YouTube, etc.

Anyhow, I have always believed in the remarkable power of the written word and poetry especially (save for a few turbulent years of my teenage life, but I'll elaborate more on that another time).



The Complete Poems of John Keats (Modern Library) is intensely and divinely romantic. I still remember the first time I read the poem, Bright Star, Would I Were Steadfast as Thou Art. It still is a sheer delight to read. I thoroughly loved The Eve of St. Agnes as well. Keats based this poem on the superstition that a girl could see her future husband in a dream, if she performed certain rites on the eve of St. Agnes.

At one point in time, I had a difficult time finding books I actually found pleasure in reading. I thought the problem was with me at first. When I shifted my focus to some of the literary greats and classics, I began to find what I was looking for. My choice is not out of snobbery; simply pick up just about any "modern day bestseller" on The New York Times, and compare the difference.

I appreciate writers who not only care about their craft, but actually live and breathe penning down everything they have to onto paper. I'm not interested in formulas (there's enough of that in the music industry), and I'm not interested in writers that are banking on a current hot topic: be it vampires, urban faery, whatnot.

Perhaps I gauge a good writer/a good book, by how little it annoys me in general. John Keats' poetry brings you to another world altogether, and an anthology of his is a worthy addition that should be included in any collection of fine literary works.

No comments:


Photobucket